D.L. Gardner

Home Forums 2019 Fantasy D.L. Gardner

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  D.L. Gardner 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

D.L. GardnerHello!
    I am D.L. Gardner, an author and screenwriter of fantasy fiction for young and young-at-heart folks who like a tall tale and adventure. I have a series title Ian’s Realm which we are currently producing for film, as well as various other fantasy stories. I’ve written ever since I was a youngster, and have led an unusual life having grown up in the sixties, lived in the desert for nearly 30 years in a mud hut, raised horses, sheep, goats and chickens, and seven children. Much of my life experience has morphed into other worlds accessed through portal travel. I’ve released twelve novels spanning all sub genres of fantasy and one historical fiction based on a relative’s WWII letters.

I believe a book should be good enough to pass from one generation to the next, be remembered even as we grow into adulthood.

And I am a strong advocate for the fantasy genre. Why?

I have heard many times from people I know that they just don’t read fantasy and sometimes I wonder why not. Perhaps they want to concentrate on matters at hand, the political arena, or science, or some form of ‘reality’. Perhaps they’re afraid that stepping into their imagination might take them on some insane journey when their time is best utilized for matters at hand.

Being an author of fantasy, I question that as a final argument.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ― Michael Scott, The Warlock

I appreciate the dedication to the gaining of knowledge. History, science, and other academics are certainly subjects we all should pursue.

But in the defense of science fiction and fantasy, I have to stand for the reality that seeps its way into to fictional stories. Those golden nuggets that seal themselves into our soul and shape us into the people we are.

“Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end.” ― George R.R. Martin

Scene from Ian's Realm

Often there are truths hidden in a good piece of fictional literature that just cannot be told any other way. Ancient culture used spiritual truths in parables or fables which were meant to impart wisdom. It wasn’t just about the story, but more about what the story told.

A fantasy tale, such as Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, or Jordan’s Wheel of time, leave heartfelt truths the reader can chew on and digest long after the book is set back on the shelf. I think that is why true science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts love the genre.

To see more of my work, visit my website and subscribe to my mailing list. I send a newsletter out occasionally to keep folks updated with what’s happening.

Click here to learn about our film project Ian’s Realm.

Awards

Winner of Book Excellence Award, Best Urban fantasy at Imaginarium Convention,  Listener’s Choice Audible award, and a host of screenings and trophies for her historical fiction screenplay Cassandra’s Castle.

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

My most industrious series still in process is Ian’s Realm Saga is an epic adventure. So far there are 6 books completed with more on the way.

When reckless Ian enters a portal to another world, he’s thrust into a conflict with dragon worshipers — and an epic battle between good and evil… A magical fantasy collection!

You can find Ian’s Realm where ever ebooks are sold. 

Inside the first book

We just released a trailer for our concept film which is still in Post Production.

And OWSCYCON’s Tim Bateson just recorded an audio of a scene from Ian’s Realm Saga part 3 when Ian and Jeppe climb down the cliffs of Moor Cove to pursue their two escaped prisoners Daryl and Adrian who just boarded a pirate ship.

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Layla, Born at Night is book 3.1 and follows Ian and Abbi’s adventures in the Realm.

Abbi and Elisa accidently end up back in the Realm and Ian has to break the seal of the portal to find her. Not without mishap and peril and facing the dragon again.

Be on the look out for book 3.2 which I hope to publish either the end of this year to early 2020.

Layla: Born at Night

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Book 4 of Ian’s Realm Saga is Diary of a Conjurer. This book includes the 4 short stories Tales of the Four Wizards which gives a background of the Realm and how the cultures of the different peoples of the Realm came about. You can also read these short stories on my website for free. 

Diary of a Conjurer

Included on my website is the novella Lost on Taikus, which follows the short stories and Diary of a Conjurer.

Along with the chapters I made some little videos on there for you to watch. I love making videos, as you can tell by now!

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Book 5 is title Cassandra’s Castle. This is the story that won the Book Excellence Award in 2016, and multiple trophies and screenings for the screenplay and trailer that we produced.

Cassandra’s Castle follows Ian’s daughter Cassie as she travels through the portal with her cell phone and finds herself in the middle of a rebellion (inspired by the Portuguese coup on 1908).  She falls in love with both the leader of the conspirators, and the king’s heir and is torn between the two.

Here’s where you can purchase the book.

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Following the genre of historical fantasy, I bring to you Thread of a Spider.

Thread of a Spider

Following an ambush at the Upton Rail Station in 1921 Ireland, British troops burn Ailis’ home to the ground and arrest her fiancé, Liam, for murder. She and her younger brother Paddy flee to an enchanted glen. Lured by a haunting song, Paddy is abducted by forest folk. Perilous obstacles, and a questionable stranger, hinder Ailis’ attempts to find her brother or free her fiance, until her only hope for survival rests on the magic of the Fae.

A bitter uprising in Ireland is taking place and two siblings are tossed in the battle, facing death, believing in love, and hoping in magic. 

1920 found Ireland at the peak of tensions that had been building for centuries. Famine, tyranny and strife robbed the Irish of their homes, their lives and their country. Four years after the Easter Rising, pressure became so great, that the southern Irish took up arms against the British and fought for a free nation. Thread of a Spider, a historical fantasy, weaves history and Irish myth together to tell a story about two teenage siblings caught in the war and swathed in the legends of Erie.

A fantasy based on history woven with rich Irish lore.

Audiobook with Lee Brophy narrating won AudioBook Choice Award 2018

Narrated by Irish born Lee Brophy, here’s what Amazing Stories Magazine had to say.
    Thread of a Spider is an absorbing story that smoothly combines key elements from both history and fantasy. Author D. L. Gardner (also a fellow contributor at Amazing Stories) has created a magical little world filled with courage and charm set in an unlikely stage of war and terror. Sure to be a hit with fans of many genres, readers (and listeners) will not be disappointed. Read the entire review…

AudioBook Review
    While there’s no sex and much of the violence is implied, people still die. I appreciate that the author kept things real, giving the story weight. Ailis was no shrinking violet, holding her own among the men, knowing how to use a Webley, ride a horse, and much more. Perriwinkle not only contributed her wisdom but also her magical healing abilities. All around, an enchanting tale. 5/5 stars. Read the entire review

Thread of a Spider can be purchased at any of these stores.

Devorah Fox
    Keymaster

Greetings!

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Hello Devorah! How are you today? Enjoying the many events here?

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

In addition to all the “normal” venues, you are welcome to purchase my books and audios on Gumroad. I’ve just released Part 1 of Ian’s Realm Saga Audio Book. This book used to be titled Deception Peak until I combined all three of the trilogy. Voice actress Teresa Garcia has taken this three part 19 hour project under her wing and now you can purchase part 1 for only $7.99. If you mention OWS CyCon, I’ll send you a  coupon! You can also pre order parts 2 and 3. Here’s the link Ian's Realm Audio Part 1

Connie Cockrell
    Keymaster

Love all the trailers. Well done!

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

Thank you Connie!

D.L. Gardner
    Keymaster

For all CyCon folks, I’ve been taking some clips from our film and audio and putting Ian’s Realm Saga up on Wattpad for your reading enjoyment. I do hope you’ll take a look.
    https://www.wattpad.com/user/DianneGardner
    We are looking for fans for our film. Producers love fans and we’d love to make the movie, so if this sparks your interest at all please come and subscribe to our website. http://iansrealm.com
    Thanks. Enjoy the con!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.