C. S. Boyack

Home Forums 2019 Urban Fantasy/Paranormal C. S. Boyack

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  CSBoyack 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

I was born in a town called Elko, Nevada. I like to tell everyone I was born in a small town in the 1940s. I’m not quite that old, but Elko has always been a little behind the times. This gives me a unique perspective of earlier times, and other ways of getting by. Some of this bleeds through into my fiction.

I moved to Idaho right after the turn of the century, and never looked back. My writing career was born here, with access to other writers and critique groups I jumped in with both feet.

I like to write about things that have something unusual. My works are in the realm of science fiction, paranormal, and fantasy. The goal is to entertain you for a few hours. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Craig

PS: I’m not going to get greedy here. I have a lot of books including Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Paranormal. I’ll share the most recent ones here. Feel free to visit my Author Page on Amazon to see the rest. You’ll find collections of short stories, and a novella at 99¢ even.

Blog Novels  Twitter Goodreads Facebook Pinterest BookBub

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

Let’s start this off with Lisa Burton, the robot girl. Since my debut novel, she didn’t have much to do. I moved her to the Writing Cabin and made her my Personal Assistant. Since then she’s become the spokesmodel for my writing career.

She makes promotional posters for all of my books now, across the speculative fields I live in.

Lisa has her own interview slot where she interviews your fictional characters. It’s called Lisa Burton Radio, but it’s really just a blog post. We’ve done over a hundred of these over the years. Here’s a link for a bit more information.more information.

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

This is my pirate fantasy tale from 2019. It features some unique monsters, a bit of humor, and some heavy duty action. Let’s sample some reviews:

“When I heard one of my favorite authors had taken on a pirate fantasy, I was excited. There’s something compelling about a scoundrel’s life on the high seas that captures my interest. Add C. S. Boyack’s quirky and clever take on characters and plot, and I was certain this would be a winner.”

“This author has a no-frills style of writing which always draws me into the story and characters. Once you start reading you better plan on staying up late! I know I did.”

“Where can I find me some root monsters?  I’d love to have a bushel of my own.  These guys made me laugh out loud so many times, I lost count.  They’re quite the little scoundrels, and a valuable addition to the crew.  Speaking of the crew, they’re a diverse, boisterous crowd with varied backgrounds, and kind of a family of their own making.  Everyone brings a special skill to the table.  And they’re pirates!  Who doesn’t love a good pirate tale? ”

Purchase Link: http://a-fwd.com/asin-com=B07MP8V633

Blurb:

An honorable man is mistaken for his disreputable father. Now he’s pushed into a political scheme to start a war that will spread across multiple kingdoms. James Cuttler’s fiancé is being held captive to ensure he goes through with the plan.

He soon decides his skills are at sea and procures a ship to wage war upon those who disrupted his simple life. He can’t do it alone, so he recruits a band of cutthroats to help him. But first, they need guns and munitions to outfit the ship properly. Deception and trickery will only get them so far. Eventually, they’re going to have to engage the enemy.

James’ goals aren’t necessarily the same as his crew. It’s a delicate balancing act to collect enough loot to keep his crew happy, while guiding them back to rescue the girl.

Voyage of the Lanternfish is filled with adventure, magic, and monsters. Lots of monsters. Hoist the colors and come along for the ride.

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

This one is a paranormal romp involving a pair of unusual heroes. Lizzie is a hard working twenty-something. Her partner is a creature from another dimension who is limited to always being a hat. They form a symbiotic relationship to take on a gang of baby snatchers. Here are a few review samples:

“Action, adventure, humor – they all reside within this unique novella.  It’s such a fun read, and I chuckled my way through it.  Boyack is a talented storyteller, and as demonstrated with Patty in his novel Will O’ the Wisp, also excels at creating believable female characters.  Lizzie has some fantastic, badass moments, and the Hat’s struggles to learn modern technology are especially comical.”

“Lizzie seems like someone I’d hang out with at home. She’s a good friend, albeit a little snarky and a lot overworked. But her personality appealed to me. The author did a great job crafting her.

“That said, she’s not my favorite character. I absolutely love Hat. He has a rich history, an interesting take on life, and a curiosity about the Internet that had me giggling as I read the story.

“The two of them together are magic.”

Purchase link: http://a-fwd.com/asin-com=B078YYCNSF

Blurb:

Lizzie St. Laurent is dealing with many of the struggles of young life. She lost her grandmother, and her living arrangements. Her new roommate abandoned her, and she’s working multiple jobs just to keep her head above water.

She inherits an old hat from her grandmother’s estate, but it belonged to her grandfather. This is no ordinary hat, but a being from an alternate dimension. One with special powers.

Lizzie and the hat don’t exactly hit it off right away, but when her best friend’s newborn is kidnapped by a ring of baby traffickers, Lizzie turns to the hat for help. This leads her deep into her family history and a world she’s never known.

Lizzie gives up everything to rescue the babies. She loses her jobs, and may wind up in jail before it’s over. Along the way, she and the hat may have a new way of making ends meet.

Humorous and fun, The Hat is novella length. Wonderful escapism for an afternoon.

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

This one involves a rather deplorable character in an alternate world fantasy. It’s a coming of age tale about a man who got a second chance after screwing up his life. Let’s check some review excerpts:

“I’ve read several books by this author, and his extensive imagination astounds me.  A yak teaching a man basic survival skills and how to become a better person?  Definitely a unique concept.”

“This is inventive fiction at its best—quirky, strange, and highly imaginative. The world the author invented is filled with odd creatures, unusual people, and vivid landscapes. The reader gets to live the main character’s experiences through his eyes, and they are varied and as bizarre as the strange world he finds himself in. If you enjoy imaginative fiction, adventure, and offbeat fantasy all rolled into one, this is one book you won’t want to miss!”

“I stayed up late reading this book for several nights. I just couldn’t put it down. Yak Guy is intriguing and engrossing, taking an original approach. C. S. Boyack has done another excellent job of story-telling and I particularly like how he portrayed the main character, Ted, and the Yak. The two characters had a good, running dialogue that worked well. You really cannot go wrong with this book.”

Purchase Link: http://a-fwd.com/asin-com=B07D1QY9Y7

Blurb:

Imagine waking up in the desert with no idea what happened to you. You have clear memories of situations and places, but a complete loss in personal matters… like your own name. This situation is bad, and you have no idea how to get home.

When you’re rescued by a talking yak, the situation gets exponentially worse. You’ve obviously lost your mind. The immediate needs of a ride off the salt pan and searing heat, along with a drink of water, outweigh the concerns about your mental state.

This is exactly what happened to the Yak Guy. In fact he’s been placed in an alternate world and given a chance to start over in life.

Can this selfish, almost parasitic, young man learn to start over in a world where charity is hard to find? Life is brutal and short here, but he’s going to have to adapt or perish.

The Yak Guy project is loosely based around The Fool’s Journey from the Tarot. Those with experience in Tarot will spot people and situations from the Major Arcana.

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

This one involves an American girl growing up in the 1970s. Her hometown is near the site of an ancient witch hunt and execution. A school project gets her more deeply involved than she wanted to be. Here are some review excerpts:

“The strange goings on in their town and friendship between these characters brought to mind Stranger Things on Netflix and the movie, Stand By Me, based on the short story, The Body by Stephen King. And I enjoyed the hell out of it. Eerie, suspenseful, and sometimes humorous, this YA urban fantasy with supernatural elements easily has crossover appeal for adults – you don’t want to miss this one.”

“What I liked most about this story was the suspense. I literally lost sleep over this book, because I couldn’t put it down at night, just had to keep reading. CS Boyack is a great storyteller with a talent for bringing us in and keeping the pace moving.”

“It’s another mashup of genres in Will O’ the Wisp. If I were to take To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Body or It (Stephen King), Any Harry Potter book, and a script from the TV show Stranger Things and throw them in a blender, it would make the smoothie that is this book and it would be a very tasty smoothy.”

Purchase Link: http://a-fwd.com/asin-com=B00UPH6BNS

Blurb:

There is something evil up Bergamot Holler, and it’s been targeting the Hall family for generations.

Patty Hall is fifteen years old. She loves stargazing, science fiction, and all things related to space exploration. This leaves her perfectly prepared for the wrong problem.

Patty is afraid her mother will send her to a care facility if she tells her what she’s seen. If she doesn’t figure things out soon, she’s going to join her father in the Hall family cemetery plot.

Patty has to come to grips with her own physical handicap, survive the wilderness, and face an ancient evil all alone if she’s going to survive.

Will O’ the Wisp is suitable for young adults. It involves strong elements of suspense, and is set in the mid 1970s.

CSBoyack
    Keymaster

This one is a paranormal romp through gangland. It’s told in the style of a Tarantino story, using three different POV characters. Here are some review excerpts:

“C. S. Boyack has created an eclectic and rich assembly of characters whose lives intertwine in the most unexpected way. Gina and Gupta make a fascinating pair of heroes who walk in two worlds. Chloe, her family, and her new friends paint a frightening and somber picture of modern interpersonal relationships. Muscle-for-hire Clovis operates in a morally gray area, and his decision at the end places him squarely in my ‘one of the best characters ever’ column.”

“The writing is tight and with shocking story turns. And whether you’re a Stephen King zealot or a John Saul fan, The Playground will leave you wanting more. In the words of the writers, “once the book hooks are in, you will never shake them off. It’s killer, big time. One of the best dark fantasy books I’ve read ! Clings onto you from page one and will have you picking up your jaw off the ground at the end. It’s fast paced and beautifully written, with gritty regard for details.”

“Boyack outdid himself on this book! If you are a fantasy/horror/supernatural book lover, then this book is perfect for you as it’s a thriller beyond all thrillers. Using internet toys to lure children into a world of pure evil filled with drugs, theft, violence, and more, Boyack is in the top five percent with this book! I truly can see this narrative made into a screenplay for a feature film.”

Purchase link: http://a-fwd.com/asin=B01D6EF6RI

Blurb:

The hottest new toys of the Christmas season are the Playground Network dolls. They contain a worldwide social network for children. Except the network is controlled by a ruthless businessman with dreams of power.

To reach his goals he turns to the occult. Will our children make up his personal army? Could we have an enemy soldier in every home?

Gina Greybill is a cancer survivor who stumbles into her own brush with the paranormal. She wants nothing to do with it, but may be the only one who can bring down the Playground Network. To do it she’ll have to embrace her new situation, and recover the next generation of Playground software.

There is competition for the software in the form of a brutal thug named Clovis. He’s bigger, more ruthless, and more experienced. To top it all off, he has a head start.

The Playground is suitable for mature readers, due to violence and mature themes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.